Saturday, November 6, 2010

Ibuprofin Therapy and my love for Kmart.

My 5 year old has had pain in his feet almost every night of his life. Since he could talk, he has complained about the sharp pains he feels in all of the small joints of his feet. This was one of the issues that led us to the diagnosis of Palindromic Rheumatism, a rare-ish (very rare for children) form of arthritis. We have tried several different types of pain meds. Any prescription pain meds had mood and appetite changes that were too drastic to ignore so the most benign option is Ibuprofin Therapy. Unfortunately, he also gets migraines and the most productive change we have made in containing them is eliminating gluten from his diet - well, ALL children's ibuprofin has gluten in it! UGH! For a long time we tried to go without anything - rubbing his feet for several hours a night, heat, ice, whatever we could think of until it got so bad that he was literally crying in my arms - "Please, please help me, momma!" That was all I could take, I sent Jay to get the gluten ridden Ibuprofin at 2 am. We decided it was just the way it was and figured the few little break through headaches and visual auras were better than the foot pain and not as bad as the exorcist style migraines.

On a recent visit to Kmart to buy my specific brand of kitty pellets (don't ask), Mr. Husband called and asked me to pick up Ibuprofin (we never want to have one of THOSE nights again). ALAS! In bold letters, across the front "Gluten Free"!!!! I cannot explain the feeling that I get when I see new products emerge with this phrase across the front. It literally brings tears to my eyes. Then I'm the crazy lady squealing and crying in the pain meds isle. Don't judge! Happy Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment